I work for an insurance claim department in an insurance company which is a non-healthcare facility but using a system which has the same purpose as EMR.
***The good things about using such system are;***
1. The required data and information are a predefined set. Our agent does not have to figure out what kind of data to collect in order to analyze on basic of good practices.
2. Due to the (1), it helps saving time collecting data for every single case so each agent can have more productivity.
3. Due to (1), missing of data is less happens, the system is configured for any required data field. So the agent is always forced to enter all required data.
4. Data collecting can be more objectives, less of personal opinions. Standards of practices can be ensured, controlled and monitored.
5. Management of data and documents is more efficient. Space to keep documents is almost replaced with more workstation. As a private organization, renting of office place take most part of fix budget. Saving of workspace is an immediate benefit.
6. Analyzing collected data is always available as a data analysing system can access collected data anytime.
7. Information from the EMR is easily exchanged between departments.
***For the bad (challenge) things are; ***
1. Collecting data is repetitive and undermine work-life aesthetic. Sometimes, it feels like being only a data entry machine. Burning out happens when the agent has to work for the same role for years. By the way, job rotation has been in place to resolve this situation.
2. When incoming data is not aligned with the predefined set, it is needed to set up a new data field by the system administrator. However, this can be resolved by giving more role of administrator to the leader of each section of the department.
3. Data privacy and protection requires more technical understanding and skills, it is a must to hire a data/IT officer. However, training of basic understanding of data protection which used to be optional has already become a requirement after DGPR has been applied.
4. Using such a system need a digital transformation plan. The plan and implementation of needs budget and employee engagement. Cost-effective must be assessed well.